Friday, May 04, 2007

It would be funny if it weren't so sad

So, Bush tells Congress that they had better not send him any legislation that eases restrictions on abortion. Why?

Because he will not “allow taxpayer dollars to be used for the destruction of human life.”

Um, so why are all of our taxpayer dollars begin used to fund a war??????

Isn't it fundamental in any war that there will be "destruction of human life?"

Oh, I forget, a fetus has more rights than a Muslim, or a U.S. soldier all grown up from fetushood.

The hypocrisy of this statement would be hilarious if it wasn't costing human lives every single day. When will "human life" include Muslims, soldiers and anyone in harm's way instead of just meaning a glob of cells that cannot live outside the womb?

When?

3 comments:

bethanyjoy said...

I used to be passionately pro-choice, but since having a baby myself I find that I vacillate.

One difference, however, that stands out to me is that the U.S. soldiers "all grown up from fetus-hood" at least have a choice. Excepting the old draft, people choose to join the military, knowing what it might entail.

That says nothing for the civilians in the countries we fight though.

It's a gray, gray world. I find that my brain & heart can't wrap around it enough to make peace - so I just have to trust that God's somehow bigger & able to use it for Her glory, impossible though it may seem.

Candace Chellew-Hodge said...

bethanyjoy, thanks for your comment.

I am pro-choice, but I believe abortion should be rare, safe and legal. We need more education, we need more social support for those who find themselves in impossible situations and we need more compassion in our world.

What we don't need is more restrictions on women's rights.

As the loving grandmother of an incredible grandson I can't imagine the world without him, but he has the love of a dad and mom and doting grandparents. Not all kids are as lucky. As a society, we need to make sure all kids get the chance at love and great care.

The current pro and con on abortion doesn't provide that. I'd love to move beyond pro and anti and find real solutions.

But, the president talking about not using taxpayer money to "destroy human life" is too ironic not to comment upon.

bethanyjoy said...

From Sister Joan Chittister: "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking. If all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed and why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript346_full.html